The World Health Organization defines mental health as the state of well-being where an individual acknowledges his or her potential. The individual can perform productively, participate in community events, and deal and cope with the stresses that he goes through in life.
To perform efficiently, our mind and body must be both healthy and must function as a whole. If one is not healthy, the rest of the body will not be able to function effectively.
Mental health is frequently neglected. People fast or work out extremely so that he achieves physical fitness and be on his best shape. But mental health is very often ignored.
Indeed, mental health is not merely the state of not having some form of mental disorder. It is a vital part of an individual’s overall wellness – when the mind is not healthy, the entire body will not be capable of functioning appropriately. The WHO also stated that it is crucial to care for one’s mental health because it is undoubtedly a significant part of one’s human condition.
Factors That Impact Mental Health
Important life events can remarkably affect mental health. The natural or sudden death of a loved one can provoke mental health decline. Alienation, social rejection, and other socioeconomic factors can also trigger mental health deterioration. Other equally damaging factors include poor lifestyle routine, negative environments, and intense stress.
Mental Health Conditions
Statistically, more than 450 million people in the world are experiencing mental health conditions, and one in four of these individuals has a higher likelihood of being negatively affected by one or more mental health conditions.
Recently, mental health disorders are increasingly affecting people globally, yet help has not been sufficient. Also, a majority of the population still do not have a better understanding of the importance of mental health and continue to stigmatize those inflicted with it.
Forms Of Counseling
Counseling has many forms, and the essence of successful counseling is to be aware of which form you are most comfortable with.
- Behavior Therapy. This form of therapy or counseling centers on the alterations of undesirable and unhealthy behaviors. Positive habits and behaviors are applied through the method of reward and reinforcement.
- Psychoanalytic Counseling. The concept of this counseling is that it makes you recall your past. A seasoned counselor walks you through understanding why you behave, act, and think the way you do today.
- Group Counseling or Therapy. A certified mental health professional leads the group session. It is a private session where confidentiality is of utmost importance. It is where individuals who have the same mental health problems have the opportunity to open up about their feelings. The participants provide support whenever necessary.
Addressing Mental Health Problems
Mental health conditions are occasionally more daunting to solve instead of the typical physical conditions or injuries. One reason for this is that it would have been too late to do something about when an issue comes up. The individual struggling with mental health disorder is already affected by his condition.
The key to addressing mental health problems is and always has been early detection. Following this, counseling may be one of the most efficient ways to address the primary cause of mental health disorders. Counseling sessions with psychologists help identify the major causes of the problem and find ways for the client to deal with it naturally.
Counseling sessions can manage different mental health problems, including anger, anxiety, depression, grief, eating disorders, abuse, compulsive disorders, and addiction.
Counseling Helps Manage Mental Health Issues By Helping You:
- Confront challenges. Counseling allows you to confront the various challenges that you face every day. Your counselor or therapist can assist you in identifying the factors that have caused your mental illness and guide you through positively facing them.
- Transform your present behavior. Your counselor helps you regulate the habits that improve your mental health problem. He can also help you make a list of methods that can alter your present behaviors contributing to your problem.
- Understand your mental health problem. Your therapist strives to make you understand your problem. As you make conversations, he can help you identify the concrete reasons behind your condition.
- Make space for healing. Acknowledging your mental health problem is the first step towards healing. Release your past hurts and frustrations and allow space for the present and the future. Counseling can offer you ways to let go of your triggers and help you create solutions that you may need to improve.
- Ease your stress. Confiding in someone compassionate or knowledgeable about easing you from the stressors and issues you are facing. This way, you will be able to open up about your emotions without the fear of being criticized or judged.
Counseling for your mental health is a gradual process that needs sufficient time. Consistency is required for the therapy or counseling session to work efficiently. If the patient does not continue with the sessions as recommended, he will merely return to his previous state and find it difficult to achieve his goal of utmost wellness.